The Mission’s resources are limited, and we have always trusted in divine Providence to help us meet the needs of people who come to us.
On this page we post what we mostly always need. You can call if you want to donate something that is not listed here. You can also call to arrange to drop off donations at the times when we are not open.
We are in urgent need of:
- PPE face masks
- hand sanitizer
- XL disposible gloves
- pancake mix & syrup, eggs, fresh fruit, snack bars, drinking boxes
- men’s socks and shoes, size 11-13
We are always in need of:
- foam mattresses for the homeless to sleep on (please ask before donating)
- cups for hot drinks (COVID-19, disposable 12 oz.)
- shampoo, personal soap, toothpaste
- tea, sugar, fresh milk (and powdered)
- pancake mix & syrup, jam, eggs, snack bars
- diapers (size 2-6) & baby formula
- meat (no pork if possible)
- canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce & pasta
- herbs, spices, salt & pepper, vegetable & meat stock
- vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, curry powder, ginger
- olive oil
- juice boxes
- aluminum foil & plastic wrap
- dish soap & laundry soap
- cutlery (COVID-19, disposable plastic) — forks & soup spoons
Volunteers are essential to the life of the Mission. If a person wants to volunteer, they start by e-mailing us, and we will help them decide if this community is the best one for them, and what the requirements are. Or better, they just come and talk to us in person...
“Volunteers need to feel they are part of a community, not just of a drop-in centre. It is a place to learn the importance of ‘wasting time’ with each other, of being human, of laughter and celebration. We encourage volunteers to feel part of our community, and to participate also in the times of celebration. Most celebrations are done at tea-time. Care is taken to ensure birthdays, leave-takings, and every other personal milestone are remembered and celebrated at tea-time. To celebrate people is also a way to learn to be present to one another; it is a good way to build a sense of community that is large and inclusive.“ (from The Rule of The Mission)
We try to accomodate people’s schedules to the best of our ability.
We need your help! If you are interested, please contact George Spanoudis, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 416-466-1357.
Our ads for specific volunteer positions are posted on the ‘Volutneer Toronto’ web site; enter ‘St. John the Compassionate Mission’ in the ‘Organization’ box on their search form.